Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Wandering Lincoln

I forgot to mention something about our boy Lincoln... When we were in Cedar for the soccer tournament, Grandma and Grandpa Goodman came up to help out and sit with kids during the last couple games they had. In between the games, they ended up taking Kashlyn to her dance recital. All the kids wanted to go with them, so of course they said yes. (I kept Aurora with me, they had our other two and Kim's three)  Anyways, I got to hear this wonderful story when all was well. They walked into the door and first thing Harlee says is, "We lost Lincoln!"  What!?
 
The dance recital was at Parowan High School. They all unloaded out of the Yukon and were herded into the gym. Once they were all seated, Gary and Susan both looked around and asked each other, "Where's Lincoln??" They both thought each other had him. He was no where in sight. There were so many people around! So they split up, Susan took the girls and Gary went solo to search for him. No where. Susan searched inside the school, bathrooms, gym. Gary back-tracked to the car. Nope.
 
Panic. Susan finally took the girls aside and they all knelt down to say a prayer to Heavenly Father for help. (I'm so grateful they have such a wonderful, sensitive, and loving grandmother. She is a great example.)
 
While Gary was at the car, he had a thought to check the ice cream store ACROSS the street from the school. (He knows it wasn't Lincoln he saw, but he remembered seeing a little boy going over earlier). So he walked over and who does he find! My little boy was sitting at a table with a husband and wife, big smile on his face with a huge cup of ice cream. The couple noticed him wandering around and kept him with them, right in the middle of the shop so someone could find him.
 
What a reunion. When Grandpa asked him why he came here and didn't go in with them, Lincoln said he followed Grandma. He followed a lady with a black shirt and a similar hair cut, thinking it was Grandma.
 
My heart was softened that day. I will forever be grateful for the couple that realized my little boy was lost and kept him safe. They will never know how much I love them. I want to be more sensitive to those around me and help others in need because of their example. I love my sweet Lincoln so much. I'm so grateful to be his mother and that he is a part of our family. I'm also grateful for the power of prayer. Grandpa might have found him before they said a prayer, I don't know, but I know Heavenly Father was taking care of my boy and I'm grateful that the girls took the time to ask Him for help. The thing I'm most grateful for... not having to go through this experience, knowing he is safe and sound before finding out he was lost. 


3 comments:

Stephanie Dirks said...

OH.MY.GOSH!!! That is terrifying. I had a similar experience. My mom took Caden down to SLC on the frontrunner. They were trying to catch the train back up to Roy. Caden ran on a second before the doors closed. My mom didn't make it. There goes her 9 year old son on the train and nothing to do! Someone noticed what had happened and stayed with him until my mom got there. She was MORTIFIED. I didn't mind, I was just grateful he got home to me! Just like you, I was glad that someone stayed with him until he was "found."

Unknown said...

Scary, crazy, and awesome! I can't wait to be down there with you guys. :)

heidijogoody said...

I bet that was scary for everyone. So glad he was ok.