Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Our Little Man

Lincoln:
*He bore his testimony in sacrament meeting for the first time today.  It was so cute!  Among being grateful for Jesus, Daddy, and the gospel... he is very grateful for "Star Wars."  Loved it!!
*Seriously my favorite story about Lincoln these days... We usually have a teenage girl, London, babysit for us.  She is great and the kids love her. One day at church I was talking to London's mom with Linc, so I said, "Hey Lincoln, guess what? This is London's mom!"  I was so excited to have him meet her.  He just stood there and looked at her and said, "No its not."  (Some background... London is black, and her mom is white. She was adopted.)  So two more times I was like, "Um, yeah Linc, this really is her mom..."  "No, she's not her mom," he kept insisting.  Awkward!  So we all laughed and I gave up.  I was so excited when we got to the car to have a "teaching moment!" and talk to Linc about adoption and people having different colors of skin.  He said ok, asked a couple questions and we called it good. 
So... a couple months later I had to drop off some money to London at her home.  Her mom came out and chatted with me on the porch for bit, then I got in the car.  Again I said, "Lincoln, that was London's mom!"  He said, "No, its not."  (Oh great.)  He looked right at me and said, "No, that is not her mom.  That's her Grandma."  Mike and I have never laughed so hard!
*He loves books!  That is one of our favorite things to do together is read books.  His favorites right now are Mercer Mayer's Little Critter, The Magic Treehouse, Froggy, Berenstain Bears, Dinosaur books, any book from the 100 books before Kindergarten series we read over the summer, and simple ones that he can sound out and read on his own.  He is slowly getting to where he can read.  I don't push him at all, I want him to like to read, and not feel obligated.
*He loves dinosaurs; learn about them, read about them, know all their names, and play with the many that we have in the house.
*His favorite thing to do is play on Dad's Ipad or Mom's Kindle Fire.  He is very good at almost anything he plays.  He loves electronic devices. 
*After lunch, he is wonderful about going to his room for "rest time" for about an hour or more each day.  He will play by himself in his room (usually with his Leap pad) for the first half, then he gets to play with Sequoia in the room of their choice for the second half.  (Mommy really needs it lately with her big fat belly! I sleep during that time and it is heaven.)
*He loves school!  He has the same teachers from last year, so its nice that they already know him well and they get along good.  He is very nice to the kids at school, and tries to help them if they are sad or someone needs help.  He does well in school and is a high achiever.
*One of his favorite days at school was just a few weeks ago when he was the "star of the week."  Daddy and him had sat down at home and made a poster of all his favorite things.  Then the last day of the week, he got to present it to his class.  He was so happy HIS DAD came to school to help him show his class his poster.  Just Daddy.  He later told his teachers, "I wish I could be star of the week every week!" 
*Rules are followed!  Lincoln is very much a "rules" boy.  He is very reliable with many things.  When he does make a mistake, he will admit it and is so sorrowful.  He is such a tender sweetheart. 
*One day he did something naughty and I was getting frustrated with him so I sat down and chatted with him about it.  After I chatted with him he said, "Mom.  Sometimes I make mistakes and do bad things.  And I'm going to make more mistakes too."  My heart was softened. Thanks for helping me little guy.
*He usually doesn't have a favorite color.  He likes "all of them."  But if he does say he has a favorite, its only for the day, the next day is a new one. I like that he is a pretty easy going kid.
*His teachers in primary just love him.  They tell me he is the most behaved in their class. Way to go Buddy! And he loves to raise his hand and answer all the questions (he also needs to learn its ok if they don't call on him to answer everything, even when he's raising his hand)
 *His favorite place he's ever been so far would have to be the Natural History Museum in Denver.  We've only been there once, but he talks about it all the time and asks us to take him "to the museum far far away." One day we will go back!  His favorite section in the museum was the Space section.
*He likes to be by his mom or dad when we are home. And asking what to do, or if he can play on our tablets. He usually needs directed to go play with toys or do something active. I love that he loves to be around us.
*He is a wonderful big brother!  He is so excited to get to have ANOTHER sister!  Him and Sequoia have already been talking about taking care of Aurora.  "Sequoia, I'll do the diaper, and you can do the wipes."  

2 comments:

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

He is such a handsome and sweet boy, I wish we could spend more time with you guys! I think he and Donovan would get along really well!!! They are so good at teaching us and reminding us that nobody is perfect.

heidijogoody said...

Wow what a sweet and smart boy. That story of him telling you he makes mistakes and will make more ..wow.